Re: [CH] catching the ketchups

Tony Flynn (tony@nzol.net.nz)
Wed, 07 Jun 2000 07:12:52 +1200

Doug Irvine wrote:

> Kristofer Blennow wrote:
> >
> > On 5 Jun 00, Dave Anderson wrote:

> Kris.....tree tomato is the one after two tomato, but only if you are
> Irish, or Newfie!! Cheers, Doug in BC

Sorry Doug and all,

Tree tomatoes are nothing like tomatoes. Grown here in NZ as Tamarillos.
No idea where they originate from.

I have very bad memory of these beautiful fruit in a greengrocers shop
when I first arrived in NZ 35 years ago. I couldn't resist buying one,
and taking it out of the bag thinking it was a "Super Plum" took a bite
No need to tell you the rest.

There is a tree next door(note not in my garden) and they look
wonderful. Stewed with heaps of sugar not too bad. No doubt there are
many ways of making them better to eat than the first bite from an
uneducated pom:-)

Tony Flynn

Grandad. Retired at the beach. Bay of Plenty. New Zealand.