Re: [CH] watering question

Sojourner (sojournr@missouri.org)
Thu, 08 Jun 2000 11:06:03 -0500

Michelle DeWitt wrote:

> A friend of mine has a few plants next to her neighbor's garden. She was
> using a sprinkler to water and her neighbor asked her to please turn it
> off, because spraying could damage their plants and that the leaves get
> all the moisture they need from the rain. They only water with pipes
> from the ground level.
>
> I had never heard of such a thing. I have been spraying with a hose to
> water since I planted out. Am I doing something wrong? My plants look healthy.

Watering in the daytime can cause some damage to plant foliage.  Each
drop of water acts as a tiny magnifying glass which can concentrate heat
from the sun and burn foliage.

Some diseases are spread more easily by moisture splashing up from the
ground onto plants.

That said, I too have watered via sprinklers for many years and have
never had a problem.  Unless the plants were roses I'd venture to think
the neighbor was being a little overly-type A.

It is true though that watering underneath like from emitters or a
soaker hose is much thriftier (saves water, waters only where you want
it).

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant

If you see the Bhudda by the side of the road . . .
give the poor slob a lift, his car probably broke down.