Re: [CH] Guero- Means hot!?

bill jernigan (bill.jernigan@juno.com)
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 11:57:20 -0400

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 09:16:04 -0600 Michelle DeWitt
<michelle@wildpepper.com> writes:
> I believe it to be a Hungarian Wax (Guero?). It looked very
> harmless and I took a very big bite and about died!

guero (with an umlaut over the "u") means blonde...someone asked about
the guero pepper some time ago, and i ventured a guess that it is a term
used to describe any pale yellow pepper, but there may be a specific
pepper that is popularly called by this name...since then, i have seen
bottles of them (pickled) in the supermarket, but haven't tried them...

for all i know, it could be the same as a hungarian wax...as we know, the
naming of peppers is a slippery thing...it changes from region to region,
and even from market to market...it the cayennes aren't selling, change
the sign to read "nigerian firecrackers" and they'll sell...

> Maybe I've just gotten too used to the wimpy Jalapenos on the market.

i certainly hope not...i know i have to raise hell to keep the serranos
at my local kroger's...everytime i've complained about them not having
anything but wilted jalapenos, the serranos have shown up on the next
visit...now i just complain on my way in, and it seems to be working...

> Michelle in KC..and I'm testing little bitty bites from now on!

not a bad idea with any unknown chile (even if you think it is an old
friend)...

bill (the lurker)...
did you donate food today?
visit http://www.thehungersite.com once a day