RE: [CH] gristly/grisly

Dale Freeman (dale.freeman@sorell.tas.gov.au)
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 16:07:41 +1000

Tara

Your discription of the floater was only missing the sheer visual effect of
the brown colour of a well heated meat pie contrasting so effectively with
the soothing green of the green pea slush and further contrasting splash of
red in the tomato sauce (ketchup for you non Ozites out there).

Cheers from the Southern bit

Dale

-----Original Message-----
From: Tara Deen [mailto:tara@es.usyd.edu.au]
Sent: Wednesday, 5 July 2000 15:28
To: dougandmarie@home.com
Subject: [CH] gristly/grisly

Grisly, gristly....both, actually! You have to remember that I'm a
vegetarian ;-)

As to your Aussie not recognizing the name...Australia was (still is,
really) a very provincial place and names varied from state to state.
I'm still trying to remember to ask for a middy of beer, rather than a
pot. And pie floaters are a culinary treasure from the 40's, 50's and
60's.
I don't make pies, but I do make beouf bourginon and chile pasties for
my husband to take to work for lunch from time to time. He loves to
watch his co-workers drool when the smell wafts out of the microwave...

Tara

Tara Deen
School of Earth Sciences
Division of Geology and Geophysics