[CH] Re: Much Crap from Monk Rael : Pie Floaters

Andrew Hood (hoodtoo@iprimus.com.au)
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 21:27:33 +0930

----- Original Message -----
From: "Inagaddadavida" <raelsixty4@earthlink.net>
To: <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2000 3:56 AM
Subject: Much Crap from Monk Rael : WUZ: Re: [CH] Beef ribs: recipes?

SNIP

> =I've eaten a lot of things in my daze, yes, but the words "Pie" and
> "Floaters" just don't go together...but more obvious, @ least to me, is
> that the wird "floaters" brings forth no gastronomically pleasing mental
> vision whatsoever...brings back those horrible dreams i had in my very
> youthful youth after being introduced to "pit" toilets whilst camping
> somewhere's between Minnesota and Ohio...gawdawful dreams...still won't
sit
> on one of those damn things...think i've rambled on enough 'bout this
> usavory topic...

Its probably been explained before on the list but a pie floater is a
wonderful concoction only available in Adelaide, South Australia (as far as
I know).  It consists of a (bloody hot) meat pie placed upside down in a
bowl which is then covered with scalding hot chunky green pea soup and
smothered in tomato sauce (to keep this on topic, a chilli sauce of any
description makes a piquant addition to the repast).  Traditionally it is
eaten whilst standing on the kerb and leaning on the counter of the pie-cart
(a caravan converted for the purposes of serving this wonderful repast),
hoewever there are takeaway versions available which are not a patch on the
real thing.  A floater is absolutely wonderful as a late night meal on the
way home from the pub as it provides considerable bulk to absorb alcohol and
its gas generating abilities are considerable, especially when mixed with
beer (often to spouses disaproval).
I used to attend at one of these sidewalk eateries on a regular basis with
some mates who were in the army reserves and went to the pie-cart after
parade on Tuesday nights.  The drill was to front up to the cart, order your
floater, wait till all had been served with plate and spoon in front of them
(it was permissible to polish the spoon on your shirt tail first), place
hands on head and at the "go" command pick up the spoon and commence eating.
The first one finished with plate licked clean and placed on their head had
beer bought for them for the rest of the night, last one finished had to buy
the first two rounds.

Oh to be that young and stupid again.

Andrew Hood
in Adelaide S.A.
and thinking of going for a drive down to the pie-cart !