Re: [CH] malagueta chiles

Chet Bacon (chet@chetbacon.com)
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:21:23 -0400

I should have went here first!
Should have known Graeme would have info on them..

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/%7Egcaselton/chile/variety.html

Malagueta A rare Brazilian variety. Semi-wild relative to the Tabasco.
Small peppers with wrinkly skins. Searing heat. Light to medium
          green ripening to red. Originally, pre-1492, the name
Malagueta was given to a hot , small, lanceolate, black grain from the
Bight of Benin
          in W Africa, (then called then the Grain Coast), which was
used as a substitute for the highly expensive real grain pepper
originating from
          the Moluccas (now in Indonesia). The Portuguese held the
commercial west African route and were for many years the sole
distributors. It
          seems that through the natural bastardisation of language,
this Portuguese noun was applied to the small capsicums, that are
nowadays
          called Malagueta and are used, almost exclusively, in the
African state of Bahia (Angola?). (Capsicum frutescens var malagueta).
Classified
          as USDA #497984. Pod grows to 0.75 inches long by 0.25 inches
wide.

Dave Hendricks wrote:

> Has anyone heard of Brazilian Malagueta Chiles? I have a recipe
> that calls for them. They are supposed to come pickled in a brine
> of grain alcohol and oil. I have never seen them and a web search
> turned up dry in the US. Any help here folks?
>
> Dave Hendricks
> bvdrangs@enter.net
> A positive attitude may not solve all your problems,
> but it will irritate enough people to be worthwhile!

* Chet Bacon   KA1ILH     |           Okay, who put a             *
* PO Box 284              |         "stop payment" on my          *
* Southington, CT 06489   |             reality check?            *
* E-Mail:                 | Homepage:                             *
* chet@chetbacon.com      | http://www.chetbacon.com              *
* chet_bacon@whps.org     |<work>  http://www.whps.org            *
* Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco Viva Bultaco*
* Adopt a Doberman     Help end puppy mills!      www.dru.org     *