RE: [CH] malagueta chiles

Chateau Stripmine (chateaustripmin@mcn.net)
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 18:57:49 -0600

I'm growing a chile that may be the malagueta.  I picked up the seed while
in Brazil a few years ago.  In the first place, we were at a village on the
River Demini (sp?). I couldn't get a name, just the word HOT.

The second place was on the river Xingu (shin goo)on an little island.  The
locals had uprooted a chile plant and brought it along for the chiles.  They
called it malagueta but the professor said it wasn't the "real" malagueta.
They were both very certain so I didn't argue with either one.  I call them
Selva (Spanish for jungle).

They were added to a clear liquid (oil & alcohol ?) and steeped in a special
glass jar.  The jar stopper had a glass rod that stuck down into the liquid.
Drops of liquid were transferred to food.

The chile itself is about 1/2-5/8" (12-15 mm) long and 3/16" (5 mm)in
diameter; round and pointed; red when ripe.

The plants are quite variable.  They can be short or tall but the are
usually open in habit.

Since I usually mix all my chiles together to make a mash/sauce, I can't
really tell you how hot they are.

Carl