R: [CH] cross breeding

Michele Mastandrea (diavolillo@katamail.com)
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 11:15:12 +0200

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Dave Anderson <Chilehead@tough-love.com>
A: Brent Thompson <brent@hplbct.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: Chile-heads@globalgarden.com <Chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Data: mercoledì 12 luglio 2000 1.56
Oggetto: Re: [CH] cross breeding

Confused me too, BUT,  cross pollination wouldn't affect fruit
colors. Cross pollination would only affect any seeds saved from
the fruits. If cross pollinated, next years plants would be F1 hybrids.

Dave A
TLCC
http://www.tough-love

> > This year I got around 60 pods plus each on on two single Rocoto/Manzano
> > plants.  Couldn't have been any cross pollination as one was in a
> > polytunnel, the other outdoors some hundred metres away.
> >
> > Interestingly, I had yellow and reds growing together in a tunnel, and
> > didn't appear to get any cross pollination on either plant - both
produced
> > only the colour they were supposed to.  Very interesting.
>
> I don't understand this post at all.  First paragraph says there are two
> rocoto plants, one in a polytunnel and one outdoors 100 m. away.  Second
> paragraph says there are yellow and red ones growing together in a tunnel.
> This "does not compute".
>  ---   Brent

If the seeds, held in a pod that is growed on a f1 hybrid-plant, will not
keep the distinctive character of that plant, how the establishment of a new
variety does it work ?
only one f1 hybrid?

Why from  the seeds of one pod, that I once sowed, I obtained all different
plants  with different pods?
If you have a plant and  you would keep his character, how could you make?