Re: [CH] Let's See - What Could It Be?

Matt Prerost (mprerost@mindspring.com)
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:29:53 -0500

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 07:40:48 -0500, you wrote:

>By the way has anybody had any problems with Japanese Beatles, I mean
>Beetles, bothering their plants. Until this year I have never had a problem
>or even seen any in my yard or garden. Sat. I picked a few things out of the
>garden, along with some raspberries, and didn't see any but yesterday
>afternoon the garden was loaded with them. There were some on the pepper
>plants but as far as I could see they hadn't eaten the leaves the way they
>had devoured leaves on the raspberries, eggplant and sunflowers. Just
>wondered if I should be concerned about them eating the pepper plants.
>
>May you all have enough rain and and fine weather.
>The Chile Cheese Head,
>Dan McWilliams

Well they have been pretty bad here in Kentucky the last few years.
Last year they did quite a number on my cherry tree and the peach tree
as well.  They pretty much defoliated my cherry tree.  There would
usably be around 5 or 6 of them snacking on a peach.  They got a few
peach leaves as well.  I haven't had a big problem with them so far
this year.  I spray all my fruit trees only once, early in summer.  I
also dropped some Diazinon on my yard earlier this year, and have seen
a dramatic drop in the Beatles.  I still have a few but not much of a
problem.  I think it is the Diazinon that did it.  I saw on some show
that the beatles come from grubs, kill the grubs-no beatles.  The one
the that I have noticed is that some lamb quarters grows in my garden.
I kinda let some of it stay.  They chew it up and every thing else is
fine.

Rain? Rain? What's that?
Matt Prerost