Re: [CH] The Jamaican Red Pepper

Matt Prerost (mprerost@mindspring.com)
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:42:53 -0500

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:18:43 -0400, you wrote:

>Hello Matt,
>
>I'm not sure if it's the same pepper but here is a description from Tomato
>Growers Supply.
>

>Caribbean Red - #9240
>Seed for this habanero variety was found in the Caribbean, and then
>improved, resulting in a uniform, fiercely hot pepper that is way hotter
>than the regular orange habanero. Dried samples of Caribbean Red measured
>445,000 Scoville units whereas regular habanero tested at about 260,000
>Scovilles. This pepper must be used carefully, but is wonderful for salsas,
>marinades, and making your own hot sauce. Bright red, wrinkled fruits are
>about 1-1/2 inches deep and 1 inch wide and have flavor with fruity
>overtones. 110 days to red.
>
>Charlie

I found this on the net.

JAMAICAN RED-hot; 1-1/2" fruits; matures green to bright red; similar
to the Habanero but earlier, flatter and somewhat milder; from
Jamaica.

http://www.chileplants.com/jamred.jpg

It looks like the peppers I have.  And some are getting red all ready
and I planted beginning of April.  So I guess I should get some gloves
ready.  It looks like I am going to have a hole bunch of them.

Matt Prerost