RE: [CH] The Jamaican Red Pepper

Imagator (imagator@preferred.com)
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:18:43 -0400

Hello Matt,

I'm not sure if it's the same pepper but here is a description from Tomato
Growers Supply.

Caribbean Red - #9240
Seed for this habanero variety was found in the Caribbean, and then
improved, resulting in a uniform, fiercely hot pepper that is way hotter
than the regular orange habanero. Dried samples of Caribbean Red measured
445,000 Scoville units whereas regular habanero tested at about 260,000
Scovilles. This pepper must be used carefully, but is wonderful for salsas,
marinades, and making your own hot sauce. Bright red, wrinkled fruits are
about 1-1/2 inches deep and 1 inch wide and have flavor with fruity
overtones. 110 days to red.

Charlie

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Matt Prerost
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 7:46 PM
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: [CH] The Jamaican Red Pepper

I am growing some Jamaican Red peppers this year.  They are well over
3 foot tall at the moment.  I was wondering if anyone who has grown
them before could give me a guesstimate the heat level of these
plants.  I have grown Habs, Jalapenos, Cherry Bombs, Serranos and some
Cayenne.  So basically are they pretty hot, you better put that in
something hot, you better use some gloves hot, or you better throw
those gloves out hot.

Also does anyone here grow any beefmaster tomatoes?  I can't seem to
quite get them completely red before the rot out here in Kentucky.
Got any tips?

Matt Prerost