Re: [CH] Not Another Letdown

bill jernigan (bill.jernigan@juno.com)
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 16:03:20 -0400

On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 13:43:01 -0500 Vince Huebert
writes:

> btw does anyone know what gueritos means?  As a midwestern boy
> with a Dutch German background, I have no Spanish in me.

actually, the word gueritos may have a german background...there is an
umlaut (two dots) over the "u"...guero means blond and the "ito" on the
end is a spanish diminutive, very popular in mexico...so gueritos are
"little blond (peppers)"...

my "spain" spanish dictionary doesn't show guero, so it is probably a
mexican word, and since there was heavy german immigration into northern
mexico in the olden days, there is a pretty good chance that this is a
mexicanized german word or a germanized mexican word or a bastardized
aztec word...today, guero (or guerito) is a common word in mexico...

think i've mentioned it here before, but the traditional music of the
mountains of north central mexico (conjunto music) is directly derived
from the polka...can be quite a surprise when you're expecting "la bamba"
or mariachi music and get something that sounds like the beer barrel
polka...

bill (the spanish speaking lurker)
did you donate food today?
visit http://www.thehungersite.com once a day