RE: [CH] Seed Report

Bob Batson (rcb@kc.rr.com)
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 15:19:59 -0500

At 5:48 AM -0700 7/23/00, Mary & Riley <uGuys@ChileGarden.com> wrote:

>The need for a store of genetically diverse seed is well know, and
>there is a problem.  However, genetic engineering may help.  In fact
>one may be able to do it at home soon.  :)
>
>But this seems biased, possibly there's some hidden agenda here?

[snip]

>Presumably during the Irish Famine there was much _more_ of a "rich,
>biodiverse genetic heritage" then, at least according to this article.
>Don't recall that it helped the Irish much?  "Hey! O'Reilly, do have
>some of that famine resistant potato stock #STI 1283?  I need some
>quick!"
>
>It's a fallacious example.
>
>Don't take this stuff as science, it is not.
>
>But again, there is definitely a need to preserve and make publicly
>available plant germplasm.

Don't believe that the Irish Potato Famine had anything remotely to
due with global plant diversity. It was the lack of diversity in the
Irish potato crop. The Irish were reliant on only two varieties of
high-yielding potatoes, both of whom were highly susceptible to
Potato wilt.

The average Peruvian Indian will grow 200 or more varieties in their
garden - that's biodiversity! Genetic Engineering can not remotely
aid biodiversity. All Genetic Engineering can do is to transfer genes
between species -- plant to plant or animal to plant. Genetic
Engineering can NEVER create gene(s), it's physically impossible.

--

Bob Batson                            L 39 12 14 N 94 33 16 W
rcb@kc.rr.com                         Kansas City