Re: [CH] rocoto question V6 #224

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Tue, 01 Aug 2000 10:31:20 -0400

Hi C-H's,
Baker wrote:

>Fellow Chileheads,
>I have a question on rocotos.My plants are full of blossoms but they haven't
>produced any fruit yet.My question is,do they have to be in a cool
>environment to set fruit.When the temps get above 80 degrees,I shade them
>with a covering,hoping that would help set fruit.

I do not think the temperature is the problem here. You are probably
missing an insect vector for pollination. If the plants are in pots
try to locate them near a wasp or hornet nest, but all kinds of other
insects will do. (Including some ants according to Brent Thompson.)
Or you can hand pollinate. You may also wish to stop feeding the
plants and switch to plain water for a while. Just so they get the
message that they are supposed to be concentrating on fruiting now
and not putting on vegetative growth.

--
---
                      Regards,               Cameron.