Re: [CH] El Yucateco Chipotle Salsa/Scouting Report Request

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Fri, 04 Aug 2000 15:08:08 -0500

At 02:16 PM 8/4/00 -0500, peg wolfe wrote:

>Greetings from Chicago, all, where it's been a dandy Summer for
>chile-growing...

South Central Indy-anna is having a bumper year in everything but
tomatoes--too cloudy to have many ripe ones.  But the chiles?  We didn't
get any ripe ones to enter in the county fair but in the last two days I've
picked about 5 gallons of almost-ripe Red Savina and Habs from the
garden.  I got another 2 gallons or so of red cayennes, cowhorns and thai
dragons.  And that heirloom pumpkin patch I put out is going berserk; the
danged thing is overrunning the potatoes, onions, cucumbers and is almost
to the chiles.  I've got baby pumpkins as big as basketballs already with
2.5 months left to grow.

Cucumbers?  Man, oh, man.  The things are out of contorl.  The picklers are
*huge*; maybe 10 inches and way too big to put a hand around.  We've been
giving them out all over and most people say they don't want anymore.  Last
night Pat suggested, seriously, that we walk up the street knocking on
doors to see if we can give them away.   I suggested doing drive-by
cucumberings; just leaving baskets on doorsteps.

The cold pickle recipes everyone sent me got homogenized into one recipe
and I threw a few--maybe3 or 4--Red Savinas into each 3 gallon
crock.  Wow.  They're not quite Clausens, but they are close and are
excellent pickles.  With more fire, of course.   Thanks to everyone for the
help on that.

This weekend we'll start dehydrating habs for the next batch of The
Brew.   The cycle runs Xmas to Xmas.

carpo