Re: [CH] Judging a Chile Cookoff

Dave Drum (xrated@famvid.com)
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 07:25:35 -0500

Glenn Murphy wrote:

> Aloha folks.  Needs some info on how to set up the judging at a chile cook
> off.  I've got catagories.  Looking for techniques for "blind" taste testing.
> Or maybe "double blind".  Thanks.

Assign each cooker a number. Use styrofoam cups with that number on the
bottom in Magic Marker. Write another number on the outside of the cup
and keep a master list of which "bottom" number corresponds with which
"table" number. Have your judges pick their number(s) one, two, three,
etc. and assign points for each position. If you are judging a
preliminary table - 3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, and 1 for 3rd. Tally the
points. Move the top five (whatevers) plus any fifth place ties to the
final judging table. Place each preliminary cup inside a fresh styrofoam
cup with an unique new number for the final judging. Points as before,
master list as before (so you can keep track without lifting each
turn-in cup to see whose number is on the bottom) and tally the points.

Try to have one judge (at least) per judging cup on each table. If you
have 40 entrants - split into two preliminary tables - you'll need about
40 judges plus another 10 to 12 for the final judging. Your chief judge
will serve as a tie breaker only.

If you know any ICS members ask to read their current ICS newspaper.
There is a complete set of instructions and rules for shilli cokk-off
set-up and judging. If you can't get one that way try <ics (at)
teamshelby (dot) com> and ask for a copy of the rules and/or current
paper.

I have cooked and won in ICS competitions. I have also judged in ICS
cook-offs. Their system is as fair and cheat-proof as anything one could
come up with for a non-megabuck event. I have also cooked in CASI
competitions - but, I do not pretend to understand their judging system.
Perhaps someone else can enlighten both of us.

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider