Re: [CH] Sichuan peppercorns

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@home.com)
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:14:48 -0700

I have been using these little gems, Zanthoxylum Piperitum for about 20 years,
ever since I first was introduced to them by a Chinese friend.....I pour about a
teaspoon or more, in a little cast iron frying pan, reserved just for that, and
toast them over high heat, stirring all the time, until they are really pungent,
then into a mortar & pestle, and grind heck outta them! I then use the resultant
pepper powder in all my Szechuan dishes....they just do not taste the same
without it! Cheers, Doug in BC