Re: [CH] Chorizo

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Sat, 02 Sep 2000 07:59:21 -0700

Curtiss-OX-5 wrote:

> <first step is to remove the chorizo from
> > casings then fry until rendered, hence presumably no advantage whatsoever
> > of stuffing into casings versus leaving as bulk sausage.>
>
> I'm no expert at sausage making, but as I understand from what I've read the
> casing ... preferrably natural aids in the maturation by allowing the
> mixture to "breathe" and lose moisture.  Something next to imposible to do
> in bulk.  Of course this only applies to an aged product.

Spanish chorizo is an aged, dry-cured sausage made with sodium
nitrite and nitrate to prevent spoilage.  It would benefit from
being stuffed into natural casings.  Mexican chorizo is a fresh
sausage and usually contains no preservatives, it should be kept
refrigerated and consumed within a few days or frozen.  It can
be stuffed into casings or made as bulk sausage...no benefit
either way that I can think of other than preference or convenience.

Mexican chorizo contains vinegar which tends to keep the sausage
loose and crumbly, it's not suitable for the grill or otherwise
cooking in the casing.  I suppose that's why every recipe I've come
across says to remove the sausage from the casing before cooking.
Commercial chorizo can contain some stomach-churning "cuts" of meat
and lotsa fat.  By making it at home, the kind of meat and amount
of fat can be more controlled.  But, using too lean meat and too
little fat will make for a dry sausage.  This can be overcome,
though, by using whatever heart-happy oil one wishes to overcome
the lack of natural fat...but, it just ain't the same as that
pool of heart stopping "red grease" that collects in the bottom
of the pan.

A recipe for Mexican chorizo can be found in my collection of
webpages.  Hint...Huevos con Chorizo is the centerpiece of our
traditional Christmas breakfast.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...