Re: [CH] India now claims to have world's hottest chile

Dave Drum (xrated@famvid.com)
Tue, 05 Sep 2000 19:50:15 -0500

carlos m navarro wrote:

> According to an AP story dated Sept. 5, India claims to have the world's
> hottest chile.   S.C. Das, deputy director of the
> Defense Research Laboratory in the garrison town of Tezpur, said the
> Naga Jolokia chile pepper grown in northeast India is hotter than
> the previous record-holder, the Red Savina Habanero.
>
> Das said the Naga Jolokia measured 855 Scoville units, compared to 577
> for the Habanero in the tests, completed last week.
>
> The Naga Jolokia, which grows to about 2 inches long and to a thickness of
> about half an inch in the hilly terrain of Assam, has been a staple of the
> diet of locals for centuries, said AP.
>
> Das said that the researchers at the lab 110 miles north of Assam's
> capital, Gauhati, had measured the pungency of the two chilis in Scoville
> units - the international gauge for food spiciness.

This is a little different - the REUTERS story didn't name names and was
claiming that the name of the chile was Tezpur. I still want to cut the
cards. though.   B^)=

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider