Re: [CH] India now claims to have world's hottest chile

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Tue, 05 Sep 2000 22:46:15 -0500

At 06:46 PM 9/5/00 -0400, Oatmeal Jack wrote:
>Did they actually have a Red Savina to run the test on at the same time or
>did they just surf the net and find 577?  I have had Indians eat my
>Savinas and tell me that they had hotter peppers back home so maybe this
>is one of them.  Guess we will just have to get some seeds and feel the
>heat of both.

A lot of this subjectivity comes from the 5 different capsianoids.  My
understanding is they act on different parts of the mouth with different
burns.   Jalapenos aren't as hot as a hab, but I'd much rather eat a hab as
the heat isn't as ragged nor does it seem to linger as long.  A cayenne has
a very smooth burn for me that is full-mouthed and lingering like the
jalapeno but not as discomforting.

So my theory is that a lot of people think the heat of lesser-cap/scoville
chiles is hotter not because of the actual cap-level, but because of the
negative vibes of that particular capsianoid on their mucus membranes,
hence they don't enjoy the experience as well as they do with other
heater-molecules..

carp

ps: Heh-heh.  He said "Hence" on the chile-heads list.