Re: [CH] wisconsin cheese soup

mk (green56@PioneerPlanet.infi.net)
Thu, 05 Oct 2000 05:26:07 -0500

Emile & Dewi wrote:

> Hello Podorinos,
>
> When I worked at the Dixie Diner in Shalimar, Florida we had a soup of the
> day called Wisconsin cheese. So since we don't have it here my question is
> does anybody know how to make this soup...

I've not tried this, but just received the other day from recipe newsletter I
subscribe to:

Today's Recipe: Wisconsin Cheese Soup
Submitted by: Iris J.

Being a die-hard "Cheese Head", I love making this soup right
after Packers games on Sunday afternoons. It has become a
favorite with our family and friends. It's wonderful served
with crusty bread or rolls.

Ingredients:

1 cup carrot slices
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup water
1 tsp. chicken bouillon granules or 2 cubes
1/4 cup chopped onion
4 Tbsp. butter
4 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups of milk
2 cups (8 oz.) finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:

In a small sauce pan combine the carrots, broccoli, water and
bouillon. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for
5 minutes. Set aside.

In a large saucepan, sauté onion in the butter.

Blend in the flour and pepper. Cook one minute. Stir in milk.

Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil.
Remove from heat.

Blend in the cheese. Stir in vegetables and the cooking liquid.

Makes 5 cups of soup.