Re: [CH] Pickling peppers - msg not posted to CH

bill jernigan (bill.jernigan@juno.com)
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 19:17:29 -0400

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 14:43:52 -0700 Adam <adam@impulse.net> writes:
> I am new to storing things long term and have read a bit about
> the difference between low acid foods and high acid foods.  It seems
that
> carrots are normally canned under pressure and all I have is a water
bath
> canner.  Anybody think this recipe is suitable for non-pressure
canning?  Would I
> simply add the finished product then process in the canner for about
8-10 minutes to
> seal the jars?

hi, adam...didn't answer this the first time, 'cos i thought one of the
resident experts would answer...

what you've got here is a jar of pickles...there is enough vinegar in
there to make it a high acid food...the soaking in the vinegar makes it
so...can it like you would any pickle...which i suspect (not being a
canner myself) is in a water bath...basically, what you're doing is
sealing it so that air and airborne critters can't get inside...i
refrigerate mine, and they do ok for the short time it takes me to finish
off a batch...

on the other hand, there are tubs of these in every sandwich shop in
mexico, standing on the counter, no refrigeration...they are homemade and
just get added to...so the chiles and carrots on the bottom may have been
there for years...have eaten probably a ton or two out of said tubs
(actually glass barrels) and never died...

bill
did you donate food today?
visit http://www.thehungersite.com once a day

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!