[CH] TV - Warren, NJ Hot Luck 21-Oct-2000

Andy (quark@erols.com)
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 02:06:02 -0400

Hi Jim,

The hotluck went absolutely great! & thanks for your care package, it was well received. (I made off with a big slice of The Bread and, after the tasting,  the bottle of Smokin' Chipotle Sauce.) Also thanks to D'Oni, Red Lion, Peppers, CaJohns for their great contributions.

The food was just excellent, ranging from mild to flaming!  I can't remember exactly all of who brought what, but I do remember Mark's Habanero Salmon Rolls and RisaG's Habanero Humus as being particularly delicious, and the Bloody Mary's made with Chile-Vodka were outrageous!

My Evil Chicken, as hot as it was, disappeared rather quickly.  (Generous amounts of Red Savina powder, capciacin, and layered, julienned habaneros on top -- nothing stopped the dedicated CH.)

Definitely the hottest was Doug's Evil Cookies.  These had achieved a bit of notoriety, as most everyone coming in asked were they were.  They were evil.

There was quite some investigation as to which was hotter:  The Cookie or The Bread. After side-by-side sampling of each, the general conclusion was that they were comparable, but that The Bread had a slightly more delay in heat -- it just kept building, unmercifully.  The Cookie, however, was the more dangerous; after all, who couLd believe that an innocent looking, chocolate-chip cookie could be BAAAAD!

The TV guy said he had heard something about hot and sweet.  When I confirmed this, and he asked for a demonstration for the TV.  I obliged, taking a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and then sprinkled applewood-smoked, Red Savina habanero powder all over the ice cream until all trace of white was replaced by dark brown.  My enjoyment of my dessert was soon interrupted, however, as first Doug then Mark grabbed spoons and started to horn in -- I mean, really, couldn't they go get their own.

Then Doug went and got one of his cookies, put some ice cream on top, and then *more powder* one top of that!  I thought this a bit much -- until 2 or 3 more chileheads started making their own!  This became quite a hit.

No, this is not exaggerated.  The TV should come out in mid-March and vindicate my veracity.  Incidentally, the TV guys were great and fit right in.  After having done some background, they were also partaking of El Grande (albeit somewhat cautously), even of The Cookie.

There was a lot of habaneros eaten that day, and at least one person remarked that, anticipating some later difficulties, that she knew what "Ring of Fire" really stands for.  (I, fortunately, have no such problem.)

***

Mark already has some pictures of the event at his site:
    http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/stevens07724?d&.intl=us&.flabel=fld4&.src=ph

I'll have mine in a couple of days, let you know.

Finally, thanks to Karen Stober for hosting this great event.

Yours in heat, Andy