Re: [CH] Canning Habanero Mango salsa

Mary Going (mary@firegirl.com)
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:48:29 -0400

At 10:26 AM 10/30/00 -0800, Nelson, Jim wrote:
>Greetings from an active lurker and 3d Annual Red Savina Buy participant
>
>Without raising the B word, has anyone cold pack canned a Habanero Mango
>Salsa and lived to tell about it?

Hee Hee. At first, I thought you meant "bitch" since FireGirl makes a sauce
called Psycho Bitch Habanero Mango.

It's not a salsa, but it has mango puree, corn syrup, cider vinegar, sugar,
habanero peppers, salt, paprika and xanthan gum.

Because it has xanthan gum (which, by the way, is a natural ingredient) it
may not be helpful to you to know the other ingredients. I think it might
be the thing that's stabilizing the recipe. To be honest, I create a recipe
in my kitchen, then take it to the manufacturer, and they turn it into a
"commercial" version. We go back and forth with tweaks until we agree. So,
I don't know much about xanthan gum except that it's all natural. (I made
sure before I'd allow it in my product.) And, my kitchen version of the
mango sauce never had to be preserved. I used it up as I went along. And,
of course, the commercial version has xanthan gum, which, as far as I know,
is not available to "regular people."

According to dictionary.com, xanthan gum is "a natural gum of high
molecular weight produced by culture fermentation of glucose and used as a
stabilizer in commercial food preparation."

- mary

FireGirl - http://firegirl.com
Over 800 hot sauces and other spicy products!
Dave's Insanity $5.95 Every Day
Endorphin Rush $3.75 Every Day
800-296-9646* 207-865-3638 * Fax: 207-865-9125