Re: [CH] Curry without mayo

Tony Flynn (tony@nzol.net.nz)
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:09:49 +1300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chad A Gard" <gard@indy.net>
To: <Chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 3:11 AM
Subject: [CH] Curry without mayo

> OK, with the recent talk of curry mayo...
> Does anyone have nifty mixes/masalas to use in recipes that call
> for curry powder?  I know that no self-respecting Indian would use curry
> powder, and the fact that it really is a British food item makes me
shudder

There must be more recipies for "curries" than flies in OZ. Lots of links
through the list archives to take you there.
 As an old pommy soldier who came to hot food through curry I fail to see
how it can make you shudder.

Here is an example of how to make a fairly authentic beef curry that is far
superior than using curry powder.

1kg Chuck steak                        1 teaspoon garam masala
2 onions                                     knob fresh ginger
1 teaspoon cumin seed                2 cloves garlic
3 teaspoon coriander seed        2 fresh chiles or
300ml                                       1/2 teaspoon chile powder
fresh coriander leaves                1 cardamon pod
1 teaspoon turmeric                 1/2 teaspoon salt

Do this
           In a casserole dish brown the cubed beef. Remove, in the juices
gently cook the onion until soft and starting to brown. Add the grated
ginger, crushed garlic and the chopped chills according to heat required.
Crush and grind the coriander and cardamon. Cook to release aroma add
turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon garam masala.

 Return meat and stir to coat, add 100ml of water and yoghurt. Put on a
tight fitting lid and simmer as low as possible for 2 hours. Remove lid and
cook to thicken ( the sauce should be quite thick)
Sprinkle with the remaining garam masala and chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with mango chutney and rice or baby potatoes go very nice.

On the main topic I have most of my plants outside now and what seems to me
a very important point in growing chiles.
They do not start to grow very much even though surviving until the
nighttime temperature is above 10'C (50F)

On a personal note. I had minor surgery for a torn cartilage in my left
knee. Which slowed the gardening up for a week or so, but seems much better
now.

Tony Flynn

Grandad. retired at the beach. Bay of Plenty. New Zealand.

.