RE: [CH] Re: Scotch Bonnets via Hydroponics

Dale Freeman (dale.freeman@sorell.tas.gov.au)
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:08:02 +1100

Dave

Depends on the type of system.

With a flood/drain system you turn off the auto timer and watch until some
wilting occurs before restarting the pump cycle again.

With something like a "smart valve" system this occurs naturally (there is
no nutrient topup until some drying out has occured).

Nutrient film technique (NFT) - once again you turn off the circulation pump
for a while to stop nutrient solution and cause some drying out.

With all the above you need to watch pretty carefully as the media used in
most systems has very little buffering capacity and the line between
stressed and stuffed can be ten minutes.

So overall, letting them "dry out" means withholding nutrient solution until
you get to the point you want!.

Cheers from the Hemisphere where growth is underway.

Dale