Re: [CH] seeds to Oz

Dave Anderson (Chilehead@tough-love.com)
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 02:38:53 -0800

I never had a problem selling seeds to Oz until  about 6 months
ago. Several hundred orders.  I received a message from a
customer stating that his seeds had been confiscated. I am now
notifying customers from Oz, South Africa and Italy that they
probably will not get pepper seeds. The Philippines do not seem to
have a problem with capsicum, but don't like cilantro (coriander).
They accepted everything else, but sent those seeds back.

When an Agriculture authority/Customs agency refuses entrance,
they normally send the seeds back via sea mail which can take a
year and they usually don't have the courtesy to notify the
customer. In all cases that I am aware of  regarding pepper,
tomato, tomatillo, coriander seeds, they are really not preventing
disease. They are prohibiting imports to protect their own farmers
from growers who might use better seeds which would grow into
better plants.

My advice to  international customers has always been to check
with their authorities before ordering or trading any seeds. Plants
will never be accepted without a Phytosanitary certificate, but
seeds may be okay.

Dave
TLCC
http://www.tough-love.com