Re: [CH] Afterburn

Alex Silbajoris (asilbajo@hotmail.com)
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:25:59

>From: Kenneth R Haynes <jkpyro@juno.com>

>Does anyone know how to produce the blazing, slightly bitter aftertaste
>similar to that in Dave's Insanity Sauce?

K -

As you might have guessed, that flavor finds little favor among the regulars
on this list.  In the last few years, we have usually referred to it as a
"burnt cat" or some more imaginative labels.

It comes from the pepper extract used in Dave's and several other sauces,
plus some of the other ingredients in Dave's.

(Personally I suspect that without that extract flavor, Dave's Insanity
would be close to Pickapeppa or maybe A-1 without sweetners, a dark and
somewhat bitter flavor from tamarind and other spices.)

If you're not familiar with pepper extract, you will be soon.  It appears in
many of the hottest sauces made by several people, as it's an easy way to
add a lot of heat.  Some here have pointed out that some large-scale sauce
makers use the heatless jalapeno varieties (heavily scorned here) and then
they add a known amount of extract to produce a predictable and reproducible
level of heat in the finished product - that way, they have product
uniformity across batches.

- A