re: [CH] Drying Habeneros in the Oven

Derek Wagner (datilderek@excite.com)
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:17:25 -0800 (PST)

>Subject: [CH] Drying Habeneros in the Oven

>Is it possible to dry habenero peppers in the oven? We wanted some >dried
>peppers to grind into powder, but its too cold here, and we don't have a
food dehydrator. Thanks!

Kenneth,
Yes, you can dry habs in the oven very well. I used the toaster oven (put in
the garage, because the aroma is PUNGENT! and I am considerate of my non CH
wife).

I halved the chiles, dried them @ 175 deg. for abot 6-8 hours. they got deep
golden orange, and smelled wonderful. They powdered perfectly, nearly a
coarse flour texture....and heat??? WOW! a quart ziplock bag made a 2 oz.
jars worth of powder. Once the water is gone, there isnt too much left of
the chiles.

Can't wait to make my datil and lemon drop powder next year!

Happy New Year, good gardening, and God Bless!

DatilDerek

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/