[CH] Re: A Chilli a day keeps the bacteria away

Myron Menaker (myronm@bellsouth.net)
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:13:21 -0500

Along those same lines...."Weekly World News" (1/9/01) had an article,
"Cayenne Cures Everything!" E.g., heart trouble, flabby stomach,
hemmorhoids!

Did you know that cayenne even cures baldness! Here's a testimonial from
a reader:

"I was almost completely bald. But now I have a full head of hair after
just three weeks of rubbing cayenne and baby oil into my scalp!"
(Randy....should I try it??)

Happy New Year, everyone!

Myron

stewarpa@cantech.net.au wrote:

>                 Chile Peppers: A Chile a Day Keeps the Bacteria Away
>

> by Mary Megliola Franzen
>
>                                           Chile peppers are not only a tasty
> seasoning, they're also a natural pest control and food preservative. Adding
> chili powder to birdseed, for example, fends off squirrels without bothering
> the birds, while a chile-laden paint for boat hulls keeps barnacles at bay. It
> all comes down to which creatures can detect capsaicin--the crystalline
> alkaloid that gives chiles their characteristic hot flavor--and which can't.
> Even at the microbial level, some bacteria avoid capsaicin. This explains part
> of the evolution of world cuisines--specifically, the phenomenon of hot foods
> in hot climates. Noticing that the hotter food was, the less likely it was to
> spoil, cooks in places like Thailand,Mexico, and Malaysia started adding
> healthy doses of chiles to everyday dishes. This helped people avoid serious
> food-borne illnesses by keeping away harmful microorganisms.  Modern science
> supports this idea. In the late 1990s, a Cornell University study found that
> capsaicin kills or inhibits up to 75 percent of food-spoiling bacteria. And,
> as evolutionary biologists were quick to point out, those who could consume
> the hottest foods had the best chances of survival--a trait presumably passed
> on to the next generation.

互户互户互户互猾せカせЙせカせЙせセ
Myron Menaker                      Daytona Beach FL USA
myronm@bellsouth.net     |
          "Keep the Whole World Singing!"   |     |
互户互户互户互猾せカせЙせカせЙせセ