Udon Recipe Was RE: [CH] Noisy soup?

Holder, John (John_Holder@jdedwards.com)
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:05:26 -0700

Last weekend I developed a new recipe using both Udon and
Tuong ot Sriracha, so after catching up with the list,
I figured I had better post it...

Spicy Peanut Udon Noodle Bowl
-----------------------------
1 onion, sliced thinly, each slice quartered.
1 carrot, sliced at an angle, asian style.
3 tbsp. peanut oil (or corn oil, canola oil, etc)
1 small tart apple, peeled, cored, and sliced into matchsticks.
2 7.25 oz. packages of fresh Udon noodle (I get them at the asian market)
2 tbsp. natural peanut butter
1-2 tbsp Tuong ot Sriracha ( I use Lee Kum Kee, which has fish sauce as
       one of its ingredients.  Some Tuong ot Sriracha doesn't.)
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp. chipotle sauce (buy a can, put in food processor w/ 1/4 cup white
       vinegar,and liquify, and you have a decent all-purpose chipotle
sauce)

To make spicy peanut sauce:
Put natural peanut butter, tuong ot Sriracha, chipotle sauce, and soy
sauce in a bowl and stir/mash into a nice thin paste.  If it is too thick,
add more soy sauce.  If it isn't hot enough, add more tuong ot Sriracha.

Sauté onion and carrot over medium heat in oil until onions are mostly
brown, about 10-15 minutes.  While the onions are sautéing, make the sauce
and set aside.  Add apple, and sauté until apple is soft, about 1-2 minutes.
Add noodles, and stir until heated.  Add sauce, stir another minute or two,
put in bowls and serve.

Enjoy, and let me know if you like it!  I've made it twice in the last
five days and think it is quite good.

John