RE: [CH] congratulations to Risa & Re: [CH] fruit fly ?

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:51:07 -0500

Hi C-H's,

Mary and Riley wrote:

>One of the rocotos I planted last year has 2 chiles on it now.  One's just
>about ripe.  Not much of a harvest.  Guess they just couldn't take the heat
>of the summer in SoCal.

>We're in Highland Park (LA) in the foothills between Glendale and Pasadena.

You have a near perfect climate for growing chiles, (just so long as
you remember to water them), but experience has shown that C.
pubescens do not tolerate continuous direct sunshine. They are
tropical high altitude plants and will not care if you happen to be
up a hill. Try situating them in partial shade or cover with shade
netting. Remember to leave access for pollinating insects though.
However your "poor" harvest is quite usual until the plants have
developed a good root system. I never expect anything much the first
year.

Luke Speer wrote:

>She has troubles with Fruit fly on Manzanos's ,

Does she leave the fruit on until it starts to rot?

--
---
                      Regards,               Cameron.