[CH] Chile Names

byron bromley (byron.bromley@gsd-co.com)
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 18:36:58 -0500

Frank,

Heres is most of them,  But Dave Dewitt say's that they add 250 to 350
varieties a year.

Lord Byron

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: "Frank Francisco" <francisco_@prodigy.net>
Subject: [CH] Which is what?

I call upon you mighty guru's of the great fiefdom of Chile Pepper.
I see many names for peppers, but I'm sure these are some different names
for the same pepper.  For example, I find Chilipin, Chiltecepin, Chilitepen,
Chilipeņo, Chilipiquin.  Come on!  Is Api Aji?  What's a Bangalore Torpedo?
Are Cayenne Long Hots the same as Long Slims?  Is the Paper Dragon the same
as the Thai Dragon?  What's a NewMex 6-4L and what's the difference between
a NewMex Big Jim and Joe E. Parker?  What's a Praetermissum No. 33?  Is
there a 1,2,3, etc.?
Does anybody know of a source for a standardized listing for pepper names?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/site_holding.pl?S9

Capsicum annuum ( 2,480 Accessions)
Capsicum annuum var. annuum ( 4 Accessions)
Capsicum annuum var. glabriusculum ( 7 Accessions)
Capsicum baccatum ( 124 Accessions)
Capsicum baccatum var. baccatum ( 12 Accessions)
Capsicum baccatum var. pendulum ( 235 Accessions)
Capsicum baccatum var. praetermissum ( 8 Accessions)
Capsicum cardenasii ( 2 Accessions)
Capsicum chacoense ( 19 Accessions)
Capsicum chinense ( 471 Accessions)
Capsicum eximium ( 5 Accessions)