Re: [CH] Rocoto K-Marto?

Bob Torres (bob@torres.cx)
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 15:44:50 -0500

On 1/28/01 3:13 PM, "bill jernigan" <bill.jernigan@juno.com> wrote:
>> They also used to make a nice sauce out
>> of the rocotos and spanish onion - all just ground to a paste with some
> salt
>> and garlic.  Lovely.  Anyway, just an anecdote that other chile-heads
> might
>> appreciate!
>
> any idea of proportions for this, bob?...sounds good...do they then cook
> the sauce?...the raw onion taste might be a little strong for me...am
> going to try something like this next time i have some rocotos...might
> even try it with some of those savinas that are calling me from the
> fridge...will let you know how it comes out...

Hi Bill,

I don't know exact proportions, but I can venture a guess.  But as I recall,
the sauce was uncooked, with only a touch of red onion, very finely diced
(less than you might find in fresh salsa).  As for garlic, it wasn't overtly
garlicly, so I'd say a small clove, crushed.  It was sort of salty, but you
could adjust this to personal taste.  Some of the sauces were a little
watery, so I guess they had water in them as well.  I also had ones with a
local herb called "huacatay" (spelling?) (like parsley) or cilantro
incorporated.  Yummy.  At any rate, the main ingedient was rocotos.

While I'm on the topic, another good thing I had in Peru was a sauce made
out of tamarillos (*not* tomatillos), habaneros, cilantro, spanish onion,
and salt.  I've duplicated this since, so if anyone wants the recipe, let me
know.  It is really quite nice, with a sweet-hot punch.

Bill, can you let me know how the rocoto sauce turns out for you if you have
a chance to make it? I have to go, I'm getting hungry now.  ; )

Bob

             b o b    t o r r e s
PhD Candidate * Cornell U * http://www.torres.cx