Re: [CH] Mango chutney/ Slight return/ Recipe/ Diatribe

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:29:56 RSA-2

> Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 08:51:15 -0600
> From: "Sandy Olson" <sandyo@willowtree.com>

> Help appreciated.  I even tried to germinate the seeds that
> came in the candy...great brown shiny buggers...but they
> wouldn't sprout even after I peeled the hard outer covering
> off.

I tried many times to get these seeds to germinate.

Mostly if planted to any depth they will rot.

My most successful was plain river sand out the river.  This is
mostly granules about 1.5mm or larger in size.  Put seeds on
top and press lightly.  Keep the sand moist (not water logged)
and warm at all times.  You can even stand it in shallow water
if there is enough distance between the water level and seeds.
Tamarindus Indica is a tropical plant.  A large tree that can
produce 350lbs of fruit.  It is evergreen and a lovely shade
tree for large grounds if it grows to its full size.  Requires
attention when young (less than 7..8 years), absolutely no frost
or freezing temperatures.  If you have snow or hard frost in your
life then forget ever planting it outside.

I nearly killed mine last year by placing it under a tree for
protection.  We had maybe 3 nights of light frost, that was
enough.  The small top branches are dead but new growth has
started at a lower level.  This winter it will get better
treatment as we head into the second winter of its life.  Did I
mention slow growing ;-)

I don't think the medium had much to do with germination.  Use
whatever you have but be sure to keep the seeds uncovered and
just lightly pressed into the medium.  River sand drains well
retains some moisture but dries very quickly.  It is almost
impossible to over water.  Often used for starting cuttings.

Peter

--
Peter Moss

After one hundred and fifty years and many thousands of firearms
control laws to reduce crime the list of successes should be
long and illustrious.  Where is the list?