[CH] Size doesn't matter

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:59:21 -0500

At 09:54 PM 3/19/2001 -0500, byron bromley wrote:
>Dale
>
>I think 5 gal pots are way to small for Habs.  If OH will allow the space, I
>want to try one in a 10 gal garbage can.
>
>In a 5 gal pot,  they are so root bound the only produce a few raisin  size
>fruits.

Respectfullly have to de-agree:  I've been growing habs in buckets and pots
for years.   Some of the pots have been as small as 1 quart.  I have never
had any get root-bound over the course of an Indiana summer as there is
simply not growing time.  I also now have, maybe, 40 or 50 three-gallon
pots.  The major difference between these and the really small pots is not
the size of the pepper but the quantity of fruit.   Admittedly all fruits
are smaller than garden-grown, but all things being equal between pots
except size, I can't tell the difference in size.

Also, for what it's wirth, the habs I get from plants from Jim C's stock
are about twice as big as what I get from regular greenhouse habs, whether
they are in pots or the garden it's essentially the same result, his chile
spawn are bigger.   So my guess is that size of the pepper is probably more
influenced by seed-stock than growing apparati.

carp