Re: [CH] Tabasco Sauce (tm)

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@home.com)
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:17:50 +0000

Jeff Thompson wrote:

> I'd bet that just about everyone's first exposure to hot sauces is Tabasco
> Sauce. Sure, it's the Budweiser of hot sauces,
>
> A lot of people say they don't like the taste of jalapenos, or Tabasco, or
> that mild peppers are evil, ok fine, that's your opinion, well here's my
> next blasphemy: I think habaneros taste like feet, and nasty unclean
> fungus-y feet at that. Their only saving grace is their heat. The flavor is
> fine when used to augment or contrast other flavors, but by themselves
> they're just plain nasty.
>

> Let the stoning begin.  :^)

Nah, Jeff, no stoning!  If you have been tasting someones "nasty unclean fungus-y
feet" no wonder yer taste buds have deteriorated to the point where no heat(NO
FEET?) Jals are appealing to you! :-) I happen to really enjoy the flavour of a
nice orange hab, raw, all by itself, but then, not everyone has the same taste
buds, nor do all CH'ers enjoy raw habs, either. A couple of years ago, I seem to
recall a thread about the heat of chiles, and how hot was that? bit, there was no
consensus then, nor will there ever be....some people hate olives,
also, and I could go on about how different folk's tastte buds behave, when
exposed to a new flavor unfamiliar to them, but I wont. In my experience eating
chiles, over fifty odd years, I have discovered that each chile variety that I
have eaten, has its own flavor, as well as heat. Try this, chomp into a New Mex
or Anaheim, raw, and taste it, the flavor, as well as the heat, then cleanse your
mouth with milk, ice cream, or whatever works for you, then chomp into a serrano,
and note the difference in the flavor, as well as the heat, for the Anaheim has
very little heat, but the serrano has somewhat more, but both of them have an
entirely different flavor, at least to MY taste buds.....anyone want to elaborate
on this theme,
go for it! I repeat, I really enjoy habs, with their own very distinctive flavor,
and I like olives also!! Cheers, Doug in BC