Re: [CH] "Eat the Heat" on FoodTV

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:47:02 -0500

Hi C-H's,

Debra wrote about Tabasco:
>But I guess, someone had
>to like it, for the McIlhenny family to become millionaires.

A few years ago I grew enough tabasco peppers (C. frutescens) to make
a gallon of salt fermented hot sauce. It is hot and has a really good
flavor. My guess is that the Tabasco sauce we get now is not in the
same league as the original. I think someone on the list once said
that the quality of the sauce took a nose dive during prohibition
when it's fermentation became illegal and production was moved to
Canada. I do not know if this is true.
--
---
                      Regards,               Cameron.