Carne Adovada Recipe (was RE: [CH] Mexican heat)

Holder, John (John_Holder@jdedwards.com)
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:40:25 -0600

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 8:22 AM, M. & L. Doster [mailto:mld@theworks.com]
wrote:

> All of the Mexican restaurants around here (an area of California with a
> large Mexican/Mexican-American population) have Chile Colorado, which is
> beef cooked in ground up dried red chile peppers and is hot (although not
> too hot).  I don't know which chile peppers are used.

As I grew up in New Mexico, we had something similar, although it was
usually
made with pork.  I imagine you could do the same with beef, but pork is the
Right Thing To Use. (grin)  Here is a recipe:

Carne Adovada
-------------
2-3 lbs pork in 1" cubes (sholder, loin, chops, whatever is on special...)
4 tbsp hot red chile powder (New Mexican, Chimayo variety preferred)
3 cloves garlic, minced (Use a garlic press)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground Mexican Oregano

Cube pork (trim fat and discard), put in dish or bag.  Put everything
else in blender.  Add 1/2 blender of cool water (3 cups?) and blend
on high to stir.  Pour over meat and let marinate for at least 24 hours.
Slow cook in oven at 250 degreees for 4-5 hours, or use a crock pot and
cook it until it is tender.  (I use the crock pot)  Important: Cook it
in the marinade!  When done, thicken the sauce with a flour-cool water
mixture or cornstarch in a pan on the stove, and pour back over meat
in dish to serve.  You don't have to thicken it if you don't want to.

Eat with many warm tortillas, which sop up the sauce nicely.

Use leftovers (if any) in carne adovada breakfast burritos.