Re: [CH] I e-mailed Chilis

RisaG (radiorlg@home.com)
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 14:08:13 -0400

Hallelujah - what an email. Hey I agree. There should be more chilis at
Chili's. Their food is ok but it could be hotter, definitely. You should've
made a petition - we all would've signed it!

RisaG
----- Original Message -----
From: <GarryMass@aol.com>
To: <Chile-Heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 11:34 AM
Subject: [CH] I e-mailed Chilis

kennethbaker@email.msn.com writes:

> all he could find was Tabasco
>
> Ken,
> I had the same experience.  So I took your comments together with my own
and sent them to "Chilis."  I can't post to the list because of AOL 6.0, so
if you'd like to forward the following to our fellow C.Hds, please feel
free.

> Dear Folks at Chilis,
> "No chiles at Chilis?"
> I am one humble member of an internet e-mail group called
"chile-heads@globalgarden.com (chile-heads)" comprised of several thousand
chile (pepper) lovers from around the world.  Most are based in the US and
many of us grow, harvest, smoke, powder, and sauce our own Ajis, Chimayos,
Datils, Guajillos, Habaneros, Jalapenos (Chipotles), Mirasols, NUmexes,
Pullas, Rocotos, Serranos, Thai Birds, etc. (alpha-partial-list).  One of
us, Jim Campbell of Indiana, grows, sauces, and markets hot sauces (among
which "Smokin' Chipotle" is my favorite).  But when we go to Chilis, apart
from the jalapenos on the nachos and a few other jalapeno treats - there's
no chiles at Chilis.  If we think the food is too bland and ask for hot
sauce (to kick it up a notch), we are offered Tabasco (yuck).  I'm not
trying to sell you Jim Campbell's spectacular sauces, nor do I think that
other sauces like Dave's Insanity will get much use, but there oughtta be
more chiles at Chilis.  Note this recent postin!
> !
> g to our list by Ken under the t
> itle "There ought to be a law" (reprinted without permission)' What I am
referring to is my latest trip to Chili's restaurant in the KansasCity area.
While this is one of my more frequent haunts - it does have great food,
Chili's theme, name, and about everything else associated with the public
image of the place are centered around the beautiful chile pepper.  They
even have a pair of beautiful red blown glass chile peppers in a display
case there.  What they are lacking, however, is any reference to the blessed
pepper in their cuisine.  Everything there, although nicely cooked, is
severely lacking the "hot stuff."    You'd think a place with a name like
that, a place who has pictures of the peppers everywhere, would have at
least one dish that is close to nuclear.  But nah!'
> Perhaps one of Chilis' corporate types would like to join our list and
read up on the remarkable level of chile expertise among this unique group
of fire eaters (even mild fires).  It's a nice group of highly rational
pepper lovers who understand that what we eat is too fiery for mass
distribution, but the flavors that we crave, Chipotle for example, can be
had using TAM Jalapenos that are smoked after turning red without much chile
heat.  Although red Jalapenos adorn the Chilis menu, Chipotle (or Chipotle
cream sauce for pasta) is absent from the selections.  If you'd like to talk
some more, please write or call me.  If you just want to check the
"chile-heads" out, send an e-mail with "subscribe Chile-Heads" to: