Re: [CH] Re: ARGH!!!!!! (Pepper Spray Recipe)

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Fri, 06 Apr 2001 13:57:16 -0500

byron bromley wrote:

> Dewi,
> If you are just fighting aphids,
> All you need is 1 tbsp of cheap liquid dishsoap in a gal (4L)
> Apply with a plant mister,  esp under the leaves.  Allow it to sit for about
> 20min to 1/2 hour and then rinse with some room temp. water.
> Gotta do it weekly, from spring thaw to fall freeze.
> You don't need to waste any chiles
> L.B.

  Seems every year I see this technique mentioned a few times on the list, but
have never seen this question answered, that I recall.  So here's what I hope
isn't as stupid of a question as I imagine it might be:  When you "rinse off"
the plants after application, do you need to worry about the soap solution
soaking into the soil around the plant?  Would the answer vary for garden vs.
container plants?  I get some aphids on my container plants now and again, but I
just can't shake the thought that rinsing soap down near the roots is bad for
them.  But not being a chemist or a botanist, I have no clue as to the actual
danger level.  I have some spray from the local garden place that I use when
they get too bad.  I'm assured by the large corporation that manufactures it
that you could drink many gallons every hour and still live a full and happy
life to age 150.  ;-)  And, of course, we all know that these companies would
not sell anything to anyone if it weren't 110% safe for anyone and everyone,
except aphids.

--
Erich
C-H # 2099