Re: [CH] Seattle WA Area Chile Heads -- Rocoto Starts

Tony Flynn (tony@nzol.net.nz)
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:19:44 +1200

----- Original Message -----
From: <Fieryfood@aol.com>
To: <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 4:14 AM
Subject: Re: [CH] Seattle WA Area Chile Heads -- Rocoto Starts

> Lowell,
> Your rocotos sound interesting. I've never tried growing chiles because I
> have ALL shade. Can't grow any other veggies, either. Hard for an ex-farm
> girl! Any chance that the rocotos might do okay in pots in shade
environment?
> If so, I'd be interesting in adopting a couple of your babies!
> Peggy
> Seattle's Chile (who doesn't grow any) Babe

Hi Peggy

I have a couple of Rocotos growing in my "shade " house this year. This is
covered with 80% shade cloth. They have grown just as well as the ones
outside in the sun. Other than being a little slower. no problem.
They have plenty of fruit on which is not quite ripe yet. This is our Autumn
remember :-) It will be interesting to see how they overwinter as we only
get one or two light frosts a year here by the beach.
If you decide to try some in pots get fairly big ones at least 2 gallon. As
the plants grow pretty big with lots of branches.

Good luck

Tony Flynn

Grandad. Retired at the beach. Bay of Plenty. New Zealand