Re: [CH] Thinning Seedlings

Kudjing@aol.com
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:32:24 EDT

In a message dated 4/23/01 12:20:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
DMcWilliams@fendall.com writes:

> > It's time for me to reduce the population of each pot to one plant.
>
>  >Do I cull the shortest?  The one with the fewest leaves? The least green?
>

>  - -- Dan//plotting mass murder
>  [snip]

>   Dan, before you commit jalapocide,

Actually, this would, for the most part, be habocide.  I eschewed the
planting of jalapenos, since (i) they're always available in local markets,
and (ii) I'd hate to spend months producing a crop of what may turn out to be
nearly heatless peppers.

> do you have any room to grow more plants?

Well, to be honest, I don't really have room to grow *any* plants, but I'm
forcing things. (The outside is cold, shady, and full of horribly poisonous
soil.  The inside is patrolled by two cats, who have strong views regarding
the proper use of containers of soil....)

> I hate to admit I actually used to pull those extra pepper plants
>  out by their innocent little heads and grind them between my fingers but
>  this year I have had great luck separating and transplanting almost all
>  types of seedlings when I culled the herd. I just remove the pepperlings,
>  and other little -lings, and gently transplant. I don't think I have lost
>  one yet. I usually thin the plants when they are getting their first set of
>  true leaves but have done some before. So now my wife is really bothered
>  because of 200 plants in the basement I have 300!
>
>  Best Regards to The List and Happy Gardening,
>  Dan McWilliams

Actually, my population is in the 40-50 range, which is about 30-40 more than
I had in mind.

In the end, I'm not sure how many I can handle.  The survival rate, from seed
to seedling, has been phenomenal.

I've just transplanted the best-looking 18 plants into peat pots, and
sandwiched them between a propagation mat and a pair of 3 ft. growlights.

The remainder are still in the seed-starting soil, and I've been taking
advantage of the warm weather the last few days to get them some sunlight.
Actually, they seem to be doing at least as well as their coddled brethren,
so, like you,  I may try to hang on to 'em all...

I'll make sure our wives don't meet, lest they form a support group of some
kind.

-- Dan//who's wondering if "overplanted" is a word