[CH] 'physalis peruviana edulis'

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:04:25 -0400

Hi C-H's,
Mary-Anne wrote:

>It's a Ground Cherry or Choke Cherry or Gooseberry.  They are quite good.
>You pick when the husk dries and the fruit is golden.  I love to peel the
>husk back like wings and garnish a meal with them.

Choke cherry is Prunus virginiana - a type of cherry tree.

Ground cherry is also called Chinese lantern and is a member of the
Nightshade family.

American Gooseberry (Ribes hirtellum), European Gooseberry (R.
grossularia) are the well known pubescent, deliciously tart, green or
red fruit.

Physalis peruviana edulis is the Cape Gooseberry - from the same
family as chile peppers and tomatoes etc. - Solanaceae.

--
---
                      Regards,               Cameron.