Re: [CH] Assistance on an "Educational Experience"

Uncle_Dirty_Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:26:10 -0500

"Nelson, Jim" wrote:

> De-lurking at my son's request for some assistance.
> What he/we need is a recipe for a verifiably Brazilian dish that can be
> executed by an adept fifteen year old as part an honors history class report
> on Brazil that he must teach. He'll serve it up to 30 or so classmates mid
> afternoon so it will need to "keep" a while. Of particular interest is
> something that while possessed of some fire will not get him suspended for
> aggravated assault when his non-CH teacher attempts consumption. At the same
> time if an epiphany is induced that would be just fine :)

> Adding to the challenge is that we are in one of the colder wetter springs
> in recent Northern California memory so I have frozen Habs, Red Savinas and
> powdered versions of same, some pickled varieties but we are definitely
> fresh pod challenged.  Responses off line or a URL are most appreciated and
> apologies in advance for the legal disclaimer on the bottom as there is
> nothing I can do about it.

This is out of my Meal Master recipe data base. Looks Good as it should.
I collected it here in the first place.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Sarapatel de Christina
 Categories: Latino, Brasil, Pork, Chiles
      Yield: 4 Servings

    200 g  Pork tripe
      1 kg Pork intestines
    100 g  Linguica (chorizo)
    300 g  Or 1 litre solidified pork *
           -blood
    100 g  Salted beef
     50 g  Bacon fat; diced
      1    Onion; chopped
      4 cl Garlic; chopped
      2    Tomatoes; chopped
      1    Bay leaf
      1    Green pepper (that's a large
           -green bell pepper, for US
           -readers); chopped
     50 g  Spring onions; chopped
     50 g  Cuentro (Fresh coriander
           -leaves); chopped
     10    Whole pimenta de cheiro **
           Limes as necessary

  * [Note: The correct quantity of solidified pork blood is
      300 g  per kg of pork intestines.]

  ** Very similar to habanero or Scotch bonnets

  A dish from the Brazilian cuisine, sometimes called "The
  Brazilian Haggis". There are different versions; this one
  was noted down by your correspondent as he sat humbly
  watching his better half prepare it (except for when he was
  at the sink cleaning intestines).

  METHOD:

  Wash the intestines VERY THOROUGHLY, first in water, then in
  lime juice. Cut into 1/2 inch long rings and leave in fresh
  lime juice and water (having first turned the lengths of
  intestine inside out and cleaning again). Cut the sausage,
  bacon, beef and half the blood into smallish pieces. Put
  the bacon pieces into a pressure cooker and melt into fat.
  Fry the garlic a little in the fat then throw everything
  else in except the reserved blood. Close the pressure
  cooker and cook for 30 minutes. Add the reserved blood and
  cook for a further 15 minutes (or until cooked).

  Also traditionally served with farinha (manioc flour cooked
  in fat with onions and bacon) and eaten with the fingers.

  I hope someone tries this: it's worth the effort and is
  really very nice.

  John Moore, Melbourne, Australia
  FROM: The Chileheads Recipe Collection

  MM Format by Dave Drum - 23 April 2001

MMMMM

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider