Re: [CH] Recipe Identification

(kodiak@flail.com)
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:52:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Jim Morrissey wrote:
> It is my guess, you have made a variant of "Yassa de Poulet".
> Below is what Jacques Pepin labels, Chicken African Style.

Ah-hah!  You win!  This is the recipe that I saw on a newsgroup:

http://www.culinary.com/foodtext/mainentr/3563.shtml

It looks as though the only common thread between all the Yassa (au/de)
Poulet recipes is the use of chicken, onions and limes.  (I also found a
Poisson Yassa.)  And it's apparently Senegalese.  In fact, I'm tempted to
say that the main common thread is the use of the lime.

Preparation methods seem pretty varied, as well.  That seems particularly
striking, because absolutely my favourite part of the dish was the crispy,
grilled, somewhat caramelized pieces of onion that ended up falling on the
grill.  You wouldn't get that, pan-frying it.

Ok.  I'm going to write down the word "Yassa," and then I'm going to stop
talking about this - it's making me far too hungry.

Thanks for finding that!

-= flail? http://flail.com/ =-
 -= the online comic strip =-