RE: [CH] OT: salad *with*, please

bedwellm@WellsFargo.COM
Tue, 1 May 2001 08:51:44 -0700

I always save the salad for last. It's dessert!!!

Micah

-----Original Message-----
From: raincrone@juno.com [mailto:raincrone@juno.com]
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 8:01 PM
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: [CH] OT: salad *with*, please

>  Salads served at a time other than before the >meal?!?!?!?!?  I
> knew the toilets flushed backward down there,
> but this is WAY TOO weird.  ;-)

<shrug> Well, I'm as American as it gets, and so were
my parents and grandparents,  and at home (and at my friends' homes, too)
I grew up on salad with the meal, not before it.  As a result, I've
always found the restaurant custom of salad beforehand, alone, to be
weird and annoying, and I usually ask that the salad be brought with the
meal.   The reason for the
restaurant custom, I'm guessing, is mainly to keep customers busy while
the entree cooks...but, hey,
isn't that what appetizers are for?

Anyway, I figure people who serve salad first and separately must not
have been brought up to know what's good together.  I mean, how can I
taste the
exquisiteness of slaw and fried fish together, for example, or tossed
salad and lasagna, or potato salad and baked beans, if they aren't on the
table at the same time?  Sorry, but it makes no sense to me at all.

And now, back to topic. :)

Keep on rockin',
Rain
@@@@