[CH] Food in Oz

John Lawrence (johnlawrence1@bigpond.com)
Wed, 2 May 2001 09:33:09 +1000

As a newbie to the list and living in Queensland, Oz,  I feel qualified to
make the following comments.

I have never been served salad after a meal in an Ozzie restaurant and would
also think it strange if it was

 The Sydney fishmarkets are rated the second biggest in the world after
 Tokyo, Japan, and carry a huge variety of fresh seafood.  They have daily
 auctions and Japanese buyers usualy pay huge prices for tuna and other
 delicacies like shrimp (prawns) lobster, scallops, mussels, oysters etc.  I
 will be visiting Sydney this week and will be at the fishmarkets soon after
 arrival, (after meeting my new grandaughter). There are numerous
restaurants
 at the market and the fresh seafood is world class.

 A small query, why do North Americans insist on calling the main course, an
entree?  In Australia the entree is the small dish before the main course.
If you look up the French meaning of entree, it indicates the opening or
beginning.  No wonder our Ozzie waiters get confused when serving Americans
 :-)

 Chile content, I have never met a chile I didn't like, and that goes for
the
 people that eat them.

 John Lawrence,

 Sunny Queensland where all chiles are welcome.