Re: [CH] (Way Off-Topic!) New Line of Wines

Gary Belinger (yesgaz@itcanada.com)
Wed, 2 May 2001 13:14:52 -0400

> All joking aside, Gallo is producing a lot of decent wine at low cost.
> Sure, most of the fruit comes from hot interior valleys but Gallo has
> enormous holdings in the Sonoma area, and it's pretty clear that
> they blend higher-quality fruit into the bulk juice to add a little
> character.

Are you sure this isn't because Gallo have a glut and would like a "cheaper"
market to dump the excess vino on where tastes aren't "quite as, er,
discriminating".

> Is the mainstream Wal-Mart customer base ready for wine in a
> *bottle* with a *cork* ?  ;-)  Actually, I hope they succeed.

Ah heck, they can always substitute a plastic cork or just stick a screw top
on.  Anyways, corks can always be plucked out with a buck knife.