Re: [CH] (Way Off-Topic!) New Line of Wines

Uncle_Dirty_Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Wed, 02 May 2001 18:14:17 -0500

> All joking aside, Gallo is producing a lot of decent wine at low cost.
> Sure, most of the fruit comes from hot interior valleys but Gallo has
> enormous holdings in the Sonoma area, and it's pretty clear that
> they blend higher-quality fruit into the bulk juice to add a little
> character.

> As a Mondavi shareholder, perhaps I would have been happier to
> see Wal-Mart partner with Woodbridge for this store-brand, but it's
> possible that Wal-Mart is pushing the envelope a little here and may
> drop the product after a while.  Is the mainstream Wal-Mart customer
> base ready for wine in a *bottle* with a *cork* ?  ;-)  Actually, I
> hope they succeed.

> > Gary Belinger wrote:

> > > And what would you suggest goes best with this vintage vino Myron?

> > Walburgers, served with a little Walpaper paste as a garnish!   Doug

Wine in Wally-world may be around for a while. Sam's Clubs have a pretty
fair selection at decent prices - from all over the world. At my local
Sam's it's two aisles upstream from the quart bottles of hot sauce.
(Trappey's, Tapatio, Tabasco (bleurgggh) and the Srirachas). Califunky
has some top notch wines, as does Oregon, Washington and strangely
enough Missouri. My hottest pick right now is a Baobab 98 Merlot that
goes very well with hot/spicy foods. Oh, my. Yeeessssss....

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider